Somewhere in the depths of Canada a powerful force is rising. Adeal Justice is this very force aiming to for a sense of lyricism for hip hop these days.Urban poetry combined with refreshingly dope beats is what sets independent artist Adeal Justice far apart from the others. As the frontrunner of his own independent record label circa 2013, Self Employed Entertainment (S.E.E.), Adeal Justice forms the basis of this new-age train of thought. Young enough to be up & coming, but wise enough to know the true essence of hip hop, Adeal Justice is taking the Canadian scene by force. Feel the vibes. Keep the faith. Peep the Justice.
1. For starts how did you come up with your stage name?
My first name is Adil, and in its Arabic pronunciation, that along with growing up in in various cities and towns in Ontario, Canada, western folk had a tough time always pronouncing it. “ Adil “ in Arabic means fair and just. The polarity between satire and seriousness.
2. We know you rep Canada. In America the Hiphop scene is very saturated. For those that don’t know can you let us know whats the Hiphop scene is like in Canada?
It’s Great! there is an amazing appreciation of lyricism and classic hip hop, and in terms of modern rap, Toronto basically shapes and is pivotal in pushing trends, treading up into the east coast in terms of mainstream music. The UNDEGROUND scene is hot too, amazing potential, and tons of rappers making there mark like Snak the Ripper, Merkules ( who i have a song featuring him on the upcoming “Terracotta” mixtape”) There are some beast lyricists , dope song writers, and the battle scene is a WHOLE other topic as KOTD is setting battle standards internationally and will continue to do so.
3. It’s not often you hear about an on the come up artist that started his own label. Can you tell us about, Self Employed Entertainment (S.E.E.) ?
I think its too often rappers start with groups without being developed enough to understand approach, marketing, personality, networking ,etc. It takes time. And it takes time to be considered seriously. If we can implement S.E.E ( Self Employed Entertainment) with trusting, like minded people willing to invest in themselves rather than waiting to win the lotto, and i mean people who are willing to manifest dreams into reality by chipping away at it day by day.
4. Your video for “Meaning” had that vintage 94 type of Hiphop sound. You also delivered a massive amount of crazy bars in it! For starts what project is that video off of, and also what made you want to make such a nostalgic release for the first single?
The track really hit home with me, and just felt heart warming haha, i really dig that genuine soulful feal. The song itself is off of the upcoming mixtape titled “ Terracotta”. The best thing of making songs like this for me is, longevity.
Like, you can listen to the song when ever and feels the same feelings, and thats what i feel dope music has in terms of aiming for that par that the golden age of hip hop gave us.
5. After listening to you we can tell that substance is a main factor in what you do. With that said how do you feel about the current state of Hip Hop?
Hip Hop is forever, it just had a hiccup and its back, and as long as people are focusing on making dope music, lyrical, uplifting, music. There is good party music and then there is music with agendas, and music of ignorance ,etc. Music has the potential to manipulate too. but that is a different topic. Lets just keep trying to push emcees to the forefront, genuine emcees.
6. In “Soul Ownership” you spit about “flying objects seen in space” and asked “what if we are the martians”. Do you believe the earth has been visited by ET’s and can you break down that line a little more?
I have no clue if ET ,etc have visited us. Its just to imply that we as humans dismiss our ancient past, and how truly advanced we were in the past, all in the face of capitalism, a form of which is so saturated with materialism, that the gimmicks alone would force us to deny the marvels of the past. Im a believer of civilization to be older than 12,000 BC.
7.Speaking of “Terracotta”, what can we expect from that mixtape content wise? Also is there a release date as of yet?
Terracotta will be intense! There will be 13-15 tracks, 5-6 music videos, 5-6 features including Rufus ( Hold on me) , Merkules , Jaclyn Gee, Ben Yoganathan, Nu Rizon and more. I will be doing the mixing and mastering, the song writing , and video editing and direction, except for maybe 1 video or two. Expect Terracotta to drop February 27, im aiming for my bday.
8. Back to your start. Who were your personal influences to get into emceeing?
Man oh man, this might sound obvious, but NAS. The great legend emcee is top 5, and likely top 2 influential rappers for me personally. His story telling might be unrivaled and several albums and his successful career stand as a testament to how great he really is. And Lupe fiasco is the only rapper i consider in that range for myself as someone who is into lyrics and story telling ,etc. Lupe is just Lupe. And a mastermind.
9. With 2015 on the horizon what is up next for you?
Im dropping Terracotta on the 27th of Feb as i said, and also im aiming to release several singles for an album project titled “What You’ve Missed So Far”, all in due time though, Im hoping to grow more and learn more, and as with that just prove myself as an artist.
10. It was cool chopping it up with you bro, in closing let our readers know where to check you out and whatever else you want to let them know. Also thanks for keeping real hip hop alive with the lyrics!
Respects bredren and likewise! Check me out on Facebook as Adeal Justice, same with on Twitter, and on sound cloud. All of which ill post the links below. Respects!