Boone Pratt (Pictured Left) and Main Adrenaline (Right) combine to make Fists of The North Star, an underground hip hop duo dedicated to bringing enlightenment back to rap. They took some time to answer a few questions via email for us, here’s what they had to say.
1. For starters how did you guys form a group?
Main Adrenaline: 4 or 5 years ago Boone asked me to hit a local studio with him and listen to some beats in on one of his solo sessions. After leaving the studio I realized I was completely addicted and needed to make it a regular habit. We started writing collabs and it took off from there! As far as the name goes we call the group North Star as per the Alaskan flag and our love for Anime flicks. Two of us make “Fists Of The North Star” (F.O.T.N.S.). Two powerful forces coming together in the North.
2. It’s not often you hear about a Hip Hop scene in Alaska, how would you describe the sound and Hip Hop culture of Alaska?
FOTNS: It’s a mix of different sounds because we get people from all over, we have both coasts and the south represented well, but our goal was to create our own sound. Alaska is a very diverse state and we think it is one of the best things about Alaska. The F.O.T.N.S. sound is unique because It’s about the love of the music, it’s about making good music with great lyrics. We can’t be boxed in, we’re always mixing new genres into our sound. We want to make quality music, and to get it out to the people. Everything else is extra credit.
3. We’ve seen a lot of videos and mixtape appearances from you guys, but no album or mixtape yourselves. Is anything in the works? if so, can you shed some light on what’s up next?
FOTNS: We are working on the first album called “Family First”. This first album will showcase FOTNS’s growth and what to look forward to in the future. This album has no collabs, no big names, just FOTNS doing what we do best, showing versatility and spitting potent lyrics.
4. We heard you guys flew into NYC and shot a slew of music videos with Monstar Productions! What was that experience like and which videos were your favorite, and why?
FOTNS: Both of us felt like we were treated like stars and Monstar Productions are the TRUTH! At the same time we learned a lot, we did a lot of growing while we were shooting. Our favorite videos have to be “Hands Up” & “Gravity”. It was great working with so many professionals on that video. Monstar really put in the work to make that Alaska Flag look good, Roberto DePalo killed it with the light work.
5. Lets talk about Main Adrenaline and Boone Pratt as solo artists. We’ve heard solo tracks from both of you guys, what’s the difference in your artistry as solo artists compared to the group works?
Main Adrenaline: When I’m writing a solo track I tend to be more abstract than when I do a FOTNS track and allow myself to find new ways of expression through experimentation. Writing a FOTNS track I like to be more calculated and make sure I show another shade of the subject matter and lyrically harmonize with Boone’s chosen path.
Boone Pratt: Aggression. I’m a little more aggressive on a solo track. Plus with the newer stuff coming out you’ll notice more energy from me! I think people will like the new Boone Pratt coming
6. You guys really flexed on “Gravity”. That track and video really showed your diversity meshing together. Its almost like a perfect formula. What were the studio vibes like that night you crafted “Gravity”?
FOTNS: The vibe was relaxed but with a sense of “lets get it done right ASAP”. We had been working with the engineer for a couple of years at that point and he had a good understanding of what we liked. The creative process just clicks with us and the result is exactly what we envisioned.
7. So most people really have no idea about Alaska. Can each of you tell us about your state and the pros and cons of being an Emcee in AK?
Boone Pratt: I feel the cons are there are a lot of hip hop artist up here, but not many that you could call an MC. Because of the technology growth over the years, it allows artist to be heard more through the internet. So collabs might be a little harder than someone right next door in another state. But the plus being a MC from Alaska is that I get to make my own sound. I’m helping to make a statement for Alaska as far a lyrics, music, quality.
Main Adrenaline: One of the things I hear most when people find out I rap is “you don’t seem/look like a rapper”, and the reason is because they assume ALL rap is about money, hoes and clothes and rappers are supposed to all wear dookey chains while drinking Chrystal in a Maybach and be incredibly ignorant or violent.
8. Who were your influences to get into emceeing?
Boone Pratt: I listen to all music of all genres. I think that’s what give me the creativity to do different things. I could name many people but it’s the time that I spent listening to things outside of hip hop that helped my hip hop sound different
Main Adrenaline: We took a vow to never name drop!! and its no lie when I say I listen to almost all genres from death metal to classical, but, Hip Hop attracted me as a kid and my heart is still in the 90’s because I feel it was truly the Golden Age of Hip Hop, lyrics and being lyrical was in, regardless of what you were rapping about, to me, that is Hip Hop!
9. With 2015 on the horizon what is up next for Fists of the North Star?
Boone Pratt: Well we have so much happening this year. The First Album “Family First”, The “Dreadlock Holiday” Blu-Ray, also a lot more merchandising like clothing, shot glasses, etc. . A lot more in your face and different angles to see F.O.T.N.S. This will be a springboard for our solo projects coming.
Main Adrenaline: Should be a very exciting year! Hopefully some shows across the U.S. and of course lots more HD videos!!!
10. What do the Fists Of The North Star bring to the game that’s not currently there?
Boone Pratt: We’re bringing that lyrical message. It seems to get lost because of the commercialism of hip hop. People are into the dresses, and gimmicks more than great quality music. Bringing the backbone back to hip hop!
Main Adrenaline: We spit truth that has to be heard more than once and each time you hear it, you hear something different.
11. It was cool chopping it up with you guys, in closing let our readers know where to check you out.
Boone Pratt: You can find me everywhere. LOL!! Google Boone Pratt, also twitter, facebook, YouTube, (Started a Vlog so check it), instagram, reverbnation, itunes, CD Baby, and check me on those Digital Dynasty Mixtapes, put on by Tha Advocate. You can find some of me all over.
Main Adrenaline: Click a link, any link….Peace & Light