Akshun Man hails from one of the most influential neighborhoods in Canada. Although inspired by traditional Hip hop from a very young age. Akshun has developed his own high energy style that defies existing stereotypes and blazes a refreshingly distinct path for 21st century World Urban music. This writer / producer / performer has collaborated on projects worldwide since debuting in 1999 with an electrifying and imposing presence.
Akshun Man stems from Park Extension ,Montreal,Canada .He possesses skill and presence that command attention, making him a true Master of Ceremony.
The energy, true talent, and exuberance that he emits from stage makes him confident while letting us know that “it’s obvious that there is no competition for me.”
Akshun Man has 4 solo mixtapes under his belt, 2 group albums, countless features and hosted many different mixtapes worldwide. He has been in numerous mentions in prominent newspapers such as The Gazette and his Video clips air regularly on local and nationwide tv.
Akshun man has composed much of the soundtrack to the Critically acclaimed movie *Le prince du ghetto. His most notable shows include opening for Major acts such as Waka Flocka Flame, Meek Mill and Wu block to name a few. He has a growing presence On major music websites worldwide such as Worldstar Hip Hop and Much Music. Has over 100 000 views on his youtube channel contributing to an ever expanding fan base worldwide.
In 2016 Akshun Man is dropping his 1st solo album and a compilation showcasing his fellow like-minded partners worldwide entitled : ThugMinded Allztarz. He is also starring in an independent film called “Welcome to Montreal”, in which he scored the soundtrack for. Stay tuned and be on the look out 4 it coming to a theatre near you!
1. How did you come up with your stage name?
I just got tired of people talking about what they are getting ready to do next so I told myself I was going to be the action man as opposed to the common talking man. Most people are all talk no Akshun!
2. We know you rep Canada. In America the Hiphop scene is very saturated. For those that don’t know can you let us know what’s the Hiphop scene is like in Canada?
Canada has a lot of talent but the problem is nobody is capitalizing or exploiting it. It’s basically a bunch of unheard voices… Of course there’s always going to be people who make noise or who got a buzz but nothing more unfortunately.
3. We first heard you on Digital Dynasty 21 (Hosted by Young Jack Thriller) and you brought a special intensity to the mic. A lot of Canadian rappers we have heard usually are more dialed down in their records. What makes you bring that fire when you hit the booth?
I’m humbled word shout out to Tha Advocate! I think it’s the way we grew up I guess. We lived in a neighborhood where all our friends were from NY, alot of Haitians and Latinos from Miami etc. I also lived in L.A. for about a year so I’m not unfamiliar with that energy. I definitely agree about Canadians being soft in general, i’m glad I don’t come across that way. I mean I’m an 80s baby so, I was raised off of that boom bap hardcore hiphop 90s golden era music. I cant do that other shit u know!
4. For those that don’t know are you on a label, or do you have one of your own? Plz let us know..
No, I’m not signed at the moment but of course I got my own brand and company, so I’m basically independent.
5. Who else is on the indy label and how did you get involved with them?
I roll with the same team I been rollin with…..same names I always feature on my projects. We grew up together. Shout out to Kaybee, 12Gage and the rest of the team!
6. Almost every track we heard from you have an energetic delivery and you are spitting mean bars! Does the current climate of hiphop disturb you being it went away from those elements?
I appreciate that! And yes absolutely! It’s really different…you even have kids from my neighborhood doing that kind of music now and it’s just so redundant. Everybody doing the same shit its depressing (laughs). I feel like the real is slowly making a comeback more and more. I guess I can just keep doing what I feel is good music and hope the listener can relate.
7. So in 2016 we know you are gonna release your first solo album, “Thug Minded AllStarz”. What type of records can we expect from that project? Also what’s the exact release date?
Actually we aint 100% on the title yet but yea I’m definitely gonna be releasing more hits u know I feel like I’ve dropped a lot of underground bombs here in Canada so I feel like making hits that can be acceptable for radio and tv now while maintaining the same content and subject matter which is : life from a Thugminded perspective! All praise is due! No release date as of yet.
8. Who are your top 5 rappers of all time, dead or alive?
That’s a real tough question it might change with the times or vary depending on whether we talkin lyrics, flow, originality or stage presence and things of that nature etc… but if I had to throw the top 5 In my mind right now at this particular moment in time I would have to say : 1 – 2Pac 2 – Sticky Fingaz 3 – ODB 4 – Killah Priest 5- RZA (not necessarily in that order though) P E A C E
9. Good choices! Back to your start. Who were your personal influences to get into emceeing?
Definitely Wu-Tang, Mobb Deep, Nas …..anything that came out of the East in the 90s.
10. We checked your latest mixtape, “Jihad”. It goes hard especially that “Lazt Of A Dyin Breed” record. With all the controversy going on in the world what made you pick the title “Jihad”?
Love is love everytime! It’s one of my favorites also… Well the definition for the word jihad actually means : the Holy War. I read somewhere that the holiest of wars is the war against self. That being said I called it that because I feel like I overcame my lower self ….my ignorant self……so it’s a bit of both on the tape……some ignorant tracks and some more wise ones. I was just at war with myself and recorded it in order to share that experience with whoever want to listen… whether to learn from, laugh at or just relate to or whatever u know. So it’s basically the overcoming of my own demons.
11. We are pretty excited to hear about this new film “Welcome To Montreal” on the way. Can you tell us about the plot and any other details about it?
Word! Absolutely! It’s actually like nothing I’ve been a part of before and like nothing I’ve ever seen before. Its actually about black and latino gangsters coming together and joining forces to bring war to the crooked cops in the city… so we are very excited about it as well.
12. We know you are scoring the soundtrack for that movie, that’s pretty big! What type of music can we expect to hear off of there?
I like to call it New Hip Hop : wisdom mixed into some real hardcore G barrs! We already started working on it and so far its coming together extra nice. All bangers!! Shit you can bump in your whip or work out to you know.
13. So on top of the album and movie what’s the end goal for 2016 homie?
Im looking to launch my own label / distribution company for the album I will be selling next year. So im going to be launching a major promotional campaign for TV in order to solidify my brand and fanbase then take it from there. Hopefully put out some of this unheard talent out here and get my city up on the map u know.
14. One last thing, that “Para-Shoot” record is a certified hit! We know you dropped it before but is there plans for a re-release in the future?
Zalute fam! I mean I guess if its in high demand and things of that nature then I got no choice u know. Big possibility! I might just now that u mention it!lol
15. It was cool chopping it up with you bro, in closing let our readers know where to check you out and whatever else you want to let them know. Also thanks for keeping real hip hop alive with the lyrics and intensity!
The pleasure was al mine! Zalute to you family 4 always keepin it hip hop all the time! All-ways and always! And forever keepin your ear to the streets universally!!! The hip hop game definitely needs more Advocates!!! In closing I would like to shout out my hood Park X aka Planet x aka 80Gang ….. my team and supporters THUGMINDED worldwide!!! Zalute 2 my fans ! thx 4 keepin a nigga alive! Yall can check me out on facebook/akshundagod
P E A C E